If you have a high level of well-being; you are more productive at work, home and at in social areas of your life. Like most people, it is not uncommon to have had a headache or a migraine. The causes can vary and so do the remedies, but problems start if it begins to affect your general health because your mental health affects everything and everyone in your life. For me it is stress. The fact that I am experiencing pain adds to the stress and the cycle is hard to break until the pain subsides. One of the hardest challenges I have faced is taking control of my stress levels. It’s so important to take steps toward a healthy mind and the steps you take will vary based on your situation and personality. You could try anything from:
- mindfulness techniques,
- spending time with friends or even
- professional counselling can be a huge help.
I spend most of my time with eyes focused on a screen, writing code, studying code and reading code. Even if you are not a developer or in an I.T related job most of us will require to sit for long periods of time. Spending hours sitting in the exact same position is not good for your overall health and it’s easy to lose track of that time. The consequences affect the body and muscle aches develop, as well as joint and posture problems over time.
Do not allow yourself to sit or stare at a screen for any longer than 1 hour
Environmental and social resources for health can include health promotion activities aimed at strengthening individual, environmental and social resources may ultimately improve well-being.
So how do you achieve this?
- Use an app or set reminders that gently alerts you to get up every half hour or so. Some apps go as far as reminding you to drink some water, go for a walk or even to take some long deep breaths while closing and giving your eyes a rest. The options are endless as you can also create your own goals and tasks 🙂 I personally use a computer app called Om which gently plays the sound of a Tibetan singing bowl to mark every hour of continuous computer use. This takes my mind off and snaps me out of staring too long or intently.
- Following a short youtube workout video makes a huge difference as it will keep your weight in check so those extra pounds won’t creep in slowly.
- Having a morning routine (anytime helps too) of getting fresh air for 20 minutes a day or sometimes less, boosts energy and keeps the worries at bay.
- Your garden can be a safe place to sit and listen to the birds and take in some natural sounds, which are organic and if that is not available you can listen to ambient sounds with earphones in whilst letting your head feel the wind for a moment.
- It’s very tempting to have a bag of crisps or a packet of chocolates sitting at the desk for you to casually grab out whenever you feel peckish. Consider switching out to a packet of almonds or a bag of dates instead as you get the sweetness of the dates as well the saltiness of the almonds.
- Keep hydrated as the effects of dehydration can be avoided such as lack of concentration, irritability and headaches.
Most of our daily lives are based on or around work so we have to take care in taking care of ourselves so that we can sustain ourselves not for the sake of surviving, but for the sake of thriving. There is a general definition that well-being includes the presence of positive emotions and moods (contentment), the absence of negative emotions (anxiety), satisfaction with life, fulfilment and positive functioning. Building a routine you can stick to in daily life may not sound important, but for some people, a routine is what helps to keep them grounded.